Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!

Community News

Putnam County want to grow its parks and recreation areas

Putnam County is expanding parks and recreation and it’s not limited to Greencastle parks. The expansion will affect all of Putnam County from Roachdale to Cloverdale and everywhere in between and surrounding. All they need is your input and you can do that via this survey


The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has a variety of grant programs designed to help communities expand their recreational spaces and encourage healthily activities. However, the DNR also requires both a county parks and recreation department and a plan. Putnam County Parks and Recreation held their first meeting in July this year for exactly that purpose. Now, they need a plan which is where the community comes in.


Purdue Extension Putnam County is assisting with the parks and recreation planning because their goals of a healthy community align with the goals of the county parks and recreation department. They hosted a few different interactive seminars just last week to get opinions and ideas on what the county as a whole needs.


By the end of the seminar, participants had voiced their thoughts and voted on multiple ideas under three categories; Healthy Eating, Active Living, and Place making. Many of the ideas involved trails from one town to another within the county, including bike repair stations, different types of parks, and utilizing the natural water trails that run through Putnam County. However, the input provided represents only a small scope of the county. Purdue Extension Putnam County and the Putnam County Parks and Recreation department want the ideas, thoughts, and input of the entire community.


The Putnam County Park Board wants your insights as it creates a five-year parks master plan! Survey respondents must be 18 years or older. This survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.


Link to Survey:


For questions related to the master plan process or a paper copy of the survey, contact or (317) 607-5243. For questions related to this survey, contact or